Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chilli Garlic Mushrooms


G.U.I.L.T.Y.

I’ve been lazy and busy. And most times, I’ve been both!

This is precisely why I love New Year resolutions J

Identify your shortcoming, come up with the obvious solution you are most likely already aware of, and make it a New Year resolution.

Guilt Out; New Year fervor in! 
As simple as that.

I have decided to blog more this year.  I was brimming with ideas when I decided to go on a self probation of month long vegetarianism. Hmnn! Not exactly helpful! Especially if you are an avid (avid might be putting it very mildly J) meat/ seafood eater like me.

But a resolution is a resolution is a resolution. So, I’ve been trying different recipes…especially to make my culinary life more interesting for this month.

My younger sister is a fabulous cook and she shared this recipe with me. I gave it a try and loved it.

Ingredients:

Mushrooms 
Corn starch  
Ginger- Garlic Paste ½ tsp
Green Chilli paste ½ tsp
Soy sauce
Salt (to taste)

For the Sauce:

Fresh Ginger 1 inch cube
Fresh Garlic 3 pods
Green Chillies 2
Soy Sauce 2 tbsp
Red chilly Sauce 2 tbsp
Tomato ketchup 2 tbsp
Spring (green) onion 1 bunch
Corn starch 2 tbsp

Recipe:

Take mushrooms in a bowl.
Add Ginger- Garlic paste, green chilli paste,soy sauce and salt, and mix it well.
Let it marinate for around 20 minutes. 
Coat with Corn starch and deep fry them. You could also shallow fry them (as I did)

For the sauce -

In the same oil, add finely chopped Ginger and garlic.
Add finely chopped green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes.
Add Soy sauce, Red Chilly sauce, Ketchup and salt and mix well.

Add Fried mushrooms and saute for a couple of minutes.
Separately, mix corn starch with a spoon of water and add this to the sauce mixture.
Cook till sauce just coats the mushrooms. This should take a minute or two. Don't overcook. 

Garnish with chopped spring onions. I cheated and used cilantro since I didn’t have any spring onions.

Chilli Garlic Mushrooms are ready!

It makes for a great appetizer and can be served as an entrée too. Goes great with Fried Rice.

The one thing Anshuman and I miss India for (food wise, that is J), is good Indo-Chinese. I have a feeling he is not going to complain about that anymore...for a while, at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment