Thursday, August 4, 2011

Red Velvet cake with White chocolate peppermint frosting, topped off with Kahlua & Dark chocolate sauce!!!

I don’t bake. Maybe because my mom never baked much, I didn't really take to it. Until now. Why now? Because I keep wondering how fun it will be to bake breads and cookies and cakes for Miu baby, and to have baking parties with her and her friends :)
Aww! I’m so happy to have a girl!
Yes, that’s just how it started.


But we always have to find reasons to indulge in sweetness, don’t we? So there it was…Pinkaa’s bday! I decided to bake a different cake. The definition of “different” in my head means “not chocolate”! :) If it were up to me, I would paint the world in chocolate. Dark chocolate, to be precise.


Not quite sure what to make and how to go about it, I asked a colleague and a friend. As avid bakers, both of them shared the same thought – why reinvent the wheel? You can use a cake mix from the store and STILL make it a little fancy, a little gourmet! ;)


Both their recipes were extremely fascinating. So I decided to mix them up!
Here’s what I did.


Ingredients:


For the Red velvet cake 1 package of any red velvet cake mix
1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup sour cream (fat free)
½ cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
½ cup miniature chocolate chips


For the white chocolate peppermint frosting 4 ounces of white chocolate
4 ounces of cream cheese (reduced fat or fat free)
4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp of peppermint extract


For the liqueur sauce
½ cup miniature dark chocolate chips
Kahlua Liqueur


The recipe:
* Mix all ingredients from the red velvet cake together.


You’ll need to microwave the chocolate chips in the microwave, 15-20 seconds at a time, and stirring them each time.


* Bake the cake per the instructions on the box.
I used two small round pans so I could layer the cake


* Insert a toothpick in the center and see if it comes out clean to check if the cake is done.
* When the cake is done, let it cool off.
You can also stick the cake in the fridge for a little bit. This way, the frosting will stick better. * Mix all the ingredients of the frosting together.
* Give it a spin in the mixer so it becomes fluffy and creamier.
* Stick it in the fridge so it gets nice and cold.
* Liberally apply the frosting between the cakes and on top of it.
* Melt the dark chocolate chips in the microwave.
* Add Kahlua liqueur or any other liqueur of your choice.
Serve a slice of the cold cake topped with a warm drizzle of dark chocolate and kahlua.
This one turned out realllllllllllly yumm!
I’m all kicked now. I can’t wait to bake another one.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, i mean wow. Such an amazing fancy cake as a first, i am floored.

    And yes, baking parties in your future for sure.....
    I am so craving a peice right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resh I am speechless. good hai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very yummy! Can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete